Hospital

Sheriff’s deputy ambushed by gunman leaves hospital

A Los Angeles County Sheriff’s deputy who was targeted in an ambush-style shooting this month along with her partner has been released from the hospital, officials said.



a man and a woman taking a selfie: Sgt. Frederickson, from the Los Angeles County sheriff's office, visits a female deputy who was shot during an ambush as seen in photo posted in the Lost Hills Sheriff's Station Facebook account. The injured deputy's husband is also pictured.


© LostHillsSheriffsStation/Facebook
Sgt. Frederickson, from the Los Angeles County sheriff’s office, visits a female deputy who was shot during an ambush as seen in photo posted in the Lost Hills Sheriff’s Station Facebook account. The injured deputy’s husband is also pictured.

The 31-year-old deputy, the mother of a 6-year-old boy who was shot multiple times in the surprise attack, was discharged on Monday evening from St. Francis Medical Center in Lynnwood, California, according to the sheriff’s department.

The deputy went home five days after her 25-year-old partner, who was also shot multiple times, was discharged from the same hospital.

“Great News… both of our Deputies from the #ComptonAmbush have been discharged from the hospital and are resting. They both have a long road

Read More

Russian dissident Alexei Navalny released from hospital

The German hospital treating Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny said Wednesday that his condition had improved enough for him to be released, and suggested that a “complete recovery” from his poisoning by a lethal nerve agent was possible.

Navalny, 44, spent 32 days in treatment in Berlin’s Charite hospital, 24 of which were in intensive care, before doctors deemed his “condition had improved sufficiently for him to be discharged from acute inpatient care.”

The hospital said that, based on Navalny’s progress, the physicians treating him believe that “complete recovery is possible,” but added that it ”remains too early to gauge the potential long-term effects of his severe poisoning.”

Navalny, the most visible and vocal domestic opponent of Russian President Vladimir Putin, was flown to Germany two days after falling ill Aug. 20 on a flight within Russia.

German chemical weapons experts have determined that he was poisoned with the Soviet-era

Read More

Illinois launches online system to track rape kits in new cases. But not every hospital is on board.

Sexual assault survivors in Illinois now have the ability to track evidence in new cases.



a woman looking at the camera: A lab worker holds up a sexual assault evidence collection kit Sept. 22, 2009, at the Forensic Science Center run by the Illinois State Police in Chicago.


© Nancy Stone/Chicago Tribune/Chicago Tribune/TNS
A lab worker holds up a sexual assault evidence collection kit Sept. 22, 2009, at the Forensic Science Center run by the Illinois State Police in Chicago.

The Illinois State Police, which runs state laboratories that analyze DNA evidence, launched a long-awaited tracking system for rape kits in August. Survivors will receive a case number in a hospital emergency room that allows them to access location information.

Many survivors had been anticipating tracking their kits, but the system is not retroactive; tracking numbers are assigned only for new cases, according to ISP.

Beth Hundsdorfer, a spokesperson for Illinois State Police, said survivors with cases before Aug. 14 should check with the investigating agency for more information. She noted that lab work on all previous sexual assault cases should be

Read More

Navalny condition improved enough for him to be released: German hospital

BERLIN — The German hospital treating Russian opposition leader Alexei Navalny for poisoning said Wednesday that his condition improved enough for him to be released, and suggested a “complete recovery” from the nerve agent was possible.

Navalny, 44, spent 32 days in treatment in Berlin’s Charite hospital, 24 of which were in intensive care, before doctors deemed his “condition had improved sufficiently for him to be discharged from acute inpatient care.”

The hospital said that based on Navalny’s progress, treating physicians believe that “complete recovery is possible,” but added that it ”remains too early to gauge the potential long-term effects of his severe poisoning.”

RUSSIAN OPPOSITION LEADER ALEXEI NAVALNY SHARES PICTURE FROM HOSPITAL BED AFTER SUSPECTED POISONING

Navalny, the most visible opponent of Russian President Vladimir Putin, was flown to Germany two days after falling ill on Aug. 20 on a domestic flight in Russia.

German chemical weapons experts have

Read More

L.A. County deputies arrest radio reporter covering protest outside hospital

Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputies arrested a public-radio reporter as she covered protests that had erupted outside a hospital where two deputies were being treated for gunshot wounds suffered Saturday evening in an “ambush” attack.



a group of people walking down a street next to a fire hydrant: A large number of L.A. County sheriff's deputies converged on the area surrounding St. Francis Medical Center, where two sheriff's deputies are being treated after being shot. (Jason Armond / Los Angeles Times)


© Provided by The LA Times
A large number of L.A. County sheriff’s deputies converged on the area surrounding St. Francis Medical Center, where two sheriff’s deputies are being treated after being shot. (Jason Armond / Los Angeles Times)

The incident drew widespread condemnation from journalism organizations and prompted the sheriff’s chief watchdog to launch an investigation.

The reporter, Josie Huang, of KPCC and LAist, was taken into custody outside St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood and released hours later. She received a citation for allegedly violating the obstruction law, Penal Code Section 148.

“That’s what surprises me the most is that once she was identified as a reporter that they transported her, that

Read More

Berlusconi leaves hospital after COVID battle [Video]

“I said to myself, with satisfaction, ‘Once again you have got away with it again’,” a smiling Berlusconi told reporters at the gates of Milan’s San Raffaele hospital, where he was admitted on Sept. 3, after testing positive for COVID-19.

His personal doctor said last week that the 83 year-old media tycoon had come down with pneumonia and was considered a high risk patient because of his age and underlying health conditions, including heart problems.

The doctor said Berlusconi would have died had he faced the same symptoms in March and April, but that doctors had learnt a lot from the initial onslaught of coronavirus and were better equipped to tackle the illness.

Berlusconi is believed to have caught the virus while on holiday in his villa on the Mediterranean island of Sardinia.

Video Transcript

[SPEAKING ITALIAN]

SILVIO BERLUSCONI: [SPEAKING ITALIAN]

INTERPRETER: I have passed what I consider perhaps

Read More

Italy’s Silvio Berlusconi leaves hospital after virus scare [Video]

SHOTLIST

MILAN, LOMBARDY, ITALYSEPTEMBER 14, 2020SOURCE: AFPTV

1. Wide shot Silvio Berlusconi exits Pavilion D of San Raffaele Hospital accompanied by security men and Dr. Alberto Zangrillo, head of the Intensive Care Unit

2. SOUNDBITE 1 – Silvio Berlusconi, Former Italian premier (male, Italian, 26 sec): “It was a difficult test. I say this with emotion. Thank goodness and thanks to the professionalism of the doctors of San Raffaele Hospital, first of all Professor Alberto Zangrillo and his collaborators, I passed what I consider perhaps the most difficult ordeal of my life.”

3. Mid shot the end of the press conference Silvio Berlusconi puts his mask back on and greets the journalists

///———————————————————–AFP TEXT STORY:

Italy’s Berlusconi leaves hospital after virus scare

=(Picture+Video)=

Milan, Sept 14, 2020 (AFP) – Former Italian premier Silvio Berlusconi left hospital Monday 11 days after being admitted with coronavirus, describing it as “perhaps the most

Read More

Gilead CEO Daniel O’Day on ways to use remdesivir to treat coronavirus

Gilead Sciences CEO Daniel O’Day told CNBC on Monday that the company is continuing to study new ways to use its coronavirus treatment remdesivir on patients, including potentially outside of the hospital all together. 

“We’re not finished with remdesivir,” O’Day said on “Squawk Box,” one day after the biopharmaceutical company announced a $21 billion acquisition of Immunomedics that will enhance Gilead’s availability of cancer treatments. 

Gilead in May received emergency approval for remdesivir from the Food and Drug Administration, allowing it to be used on people who were severely ill with Covid-19 in the hospital. The antiviral drug, which is administered through an intravenous infusion has been shown to help shorten the recovery time of some hospitalized patients.

Reuters reported last week that some large hospital systems in the U.S. are limiting their use of remdesivir to severely ill people. In late August, the FDA expanded its emergency authorization to

Read More

Brazil Covid deaths exceed 132,000 – as it happened | World news

The World Health Organization’s Covid-19 dashboard showed on Monday a new one-day record high had been reached at 307,930 confirmed cases of coronavirus.

The WHO’s complete figures for Sunday showed that 307,930 cases were confirmed to the UN health agency during the day, 19,870 higher than Saturday’s tally.

Daily confirmed cases have only topped 300,000 once before, when 306,857 were recorded on 6 September, AFP reports.

According to the WHO’s figures, there have been more than 28,870,000 confirmed cases of the respiratory disease, while more than 921,800 people have lost their lives, including 5,537 on Sunday.

“Lives and livelihoods have been lost, the global economy is in recession and social and political fault lines have been exposed,” WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said via video-link Monday at the organisation’s European regional committee.

“We are by no means out of the woods. The average daily number of cases in the region

Read More

Putin opponent Navalny posts photo from hospital, plans to return to Russia

By Alexander Marrow



Alexei Navalny et al. in a room: Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny and his family members pose for a picture at Charite hospital in Berlin


© Reuters/SOCIAL MEDIA
Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny and his family members pose for a picture at Charite hospital in Berlin

MOSCOW (Reuters) – Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny shared a photograph from a Berlin hospital on Tuesday, sitting up in bed and surrounded by his family, and said he could now breathe independently after being poisoned in Siberia last month.



Alexei Navalny et al. standing in front of a crowd posing for the camera: FILE PHOTO: Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny takes part in a rally to mark the 5th anniversary of opposition politician Boris Nemtsov's murder and to protest against proposed amendments to the country's constitution, in Moscow


© Reuters/Shamil Zhumatov
FILE PHOTO: Russian opposition politician Alexei Navalny takes part in a rally to mark the 5th anniversary of opposition politician Boris Nemtsov’s murder and to protest against proposed amendments to the country’s constitution, in Moscow

The photo – the strongest evidence yet of Navalny’s advancing recovery after emerging from a coma last week – was swiftly followed by confirmation from his press spokeswoman that he planned to return to Russia.

“Hi, this is Navalny. I miss you all,” he wrote in the caption

Read More